⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] GOES-R generated binary mask products under proposal

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 22:25:11 +0100

Dear Charles

Thank you for your email, and the subsequent one to Jim. In my earlier posting
I was not particularly arguing against the proposal, but I thought the
question should be asked. Evidently it is your intention that quantities with
these names should indeed be regarded as comparable. That is OK. If at some
point there arises a need for more specifically defined binary masks, other
standard names could be proposed for them.

You propose to include a nominal threshold of zero, indicating that any amount
of cloud etc. constitutes "presence". I think we could avoid that need, and
the related need to introduce standard names for the quantities in which the
threshold was set, by stating in the definition that if no threshold is
supplied, the binary mask is 1 if there is any non-zero amount of cloud etc.