⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601 (standard_name or units?)

From: Aleksandar Jelenak - NOAA Affiliate <aleksandar.jelenak>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:18:37 -0400

Hi Steve,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I think we're talking about different issues. The thought question I posed
> was not whether it is acceptable to have a standard_name assigned to string
> variable. Nothing wrong with a string variable. Rather it was to point
> out that ISO date-time strings are a way of encoding the physical quantity
> that we know as TIME. So TIME is the "right" standard_name for ISO
> date-time strings per the definition quoted above.

Just to clarify this point:

I interpreted your initial statement in this thread as saying that
standard names are exclusively for identifying physical quantities.
The five standard names I mentioned in my reply are not for physical
quantities, for example: "region" for geographical regions,
"soil_type" for soil types, "sea_ice_classification" for sea ice
types, etc.

       -Aleksandar