⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601 (standard_name or units?)

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:05:43 -0700

On 3/26/2013 7:20 PM, Aleksandar Jelenak - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> Hi Aleksander,
>>
>> A question to debate in your trac ticket. Per the CF documentation, the
>> definition of the standard_name is "/The name used to identify the_physical
>> quantity_/"
> I found five standard names for variables with string values. Their
> units are either not specified, or declared as "1" or "string".

Hi Aleksander,

I think we're talking about different issues. The thought question I
posed was not whether it is acceptable to have a standard_name assigned
to string variable. Nothing wrong with a string variable. Rather it
was to point out that ISO date-time strings are a way of encoding the
_physical quantity_ that we know as TIME. So TIME is the "right"
standard_name for ISO date-time strings per the definition quoted above.

Now, it may be that there is a compelling argument to violating the
normal definition of standard_name for the case of ISO date-time
strings. Or on the other hand is it preferable to use the units
attribute to indicate the use of an ISO date-time string? That is the
thought question.

     - Steve