⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:21:33 -0600

Aleksandar,

I support this standard name proposal. I like the restrictions on
syntax and use to a sensible subset for scientific applications.

Unlike most standard name proposals, this is more than a simple
definition of a physical meaning. You are making a set of technical
use specifications, with significant departures from the reference
standard ISO 8601. Will there be a reference archive for the
particular specifications? Will this reside exclusively in the CF
standard name table, or in a new CF chapter or appendix, or something?
 I think there needs to be something better than "that CF list
discussion of January to March 2013".

Please be exact in the specification of the reference calendar. Try
to eliminate all possible measurement ambiguities. Leap seconds are a
problem. There are no leap seconds in the standard calendars
currently defined by CF, and I was not able to locate exactly where
ISO8601 stands on this issue. I would really hate to see a "Gregorian
calendar" or proleptic_gregorian implementation with interval
calculations that differ from the CF defined calendars.

I suggest a requirement that the calendar attribute be included on all
variables using datetime_iso8601. If leap seconds are excluded, then
the correct attribute value should be "proleptic_gregorian".

You have "four-digit years". Are you explicitly restricting the spec
to only years 0000 through 9999?

Thank you for working on this!

--Dave