⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:48:43 +0000

Hi Aleksandar,

I don't think anyone has responded to your email below, so I am responding, in part, so it doesn't get lost in the recent blizzard of emails on other topics :-).

I still much prefer the alternative that was proposed:

   time_sample_interval_due_to_collocation

I think this is less ambiguous, will be easier to understand for someone who doesn't know what you are trying to represent, and easier to generalize in the future.

I suggest that we tweak the description to improve clarity:

"The difference in time between two events that are collocated. Two events are deemed to be collocated based on some set of spatial, temporal, and viewing geometry criteria."

I also checked on the spelling of 'collocation'. Unfortunately, different dictionaries seem to disagree, with varying support given to: collocation, colocation, and co-location. In the dictionaries I looked at, collocation was often described as a literary term (for two words appearing next to each other), with colocation and co-location often being more clearly defined in the way that we want. But it was not clear cut. Is there consensus in the fields relevant to CF?

Best wishes,

    Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.