⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Monotonic coordinates

From: Little, Bill <bill.little>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:59:11 -0000

I'm seeking clarity from the community with regards to the type of
monotonicity a CF coordinate variable must satisfy.

In CF Metadata Conventions section 1.2. Terminology, a coordinate
variable "is defined as a numeric data type with values that are ordered
monotonically."

This suggests that weak-monotonicity is acceptable.

Within the same section and paragraph, reference is made to section
2.3.1. of the NUG, which states that coordinate variables "are numeric
vectors and strictly monotonic (all values are different and either
increasing or decreasing)."

This states that strict-monotonicity is required.

The definition of a CF coordinate variable is fundamental to the CF
model, and yet its specification from the wording in the conventions
document is unclear.

I feel that explicit clarification on this matter within the CF Metadata
Conventions document is well overdue.

Personally, I've always assume and adopted strict monotonicity.

Thoughts? Opinions?