⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to express data variable element values that needto cover a range

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:19:12 +0100

Dear Chris

> but maybe that doesn't fit into CDF standards well, in whcih case, two
> variables with standard names:
>
> the_standard_name_lower_limit
> and
> the_standard_name_upper_limit
>
> would work fine. Is there currently a standard_name for this data,
> when not given as a range?

This is essentially what new standard_name modifiers would achieve. There has
to be a standard_name XXX for the quantity itself, as you say, and then Randy
would put standard_name="XXX lower_limit" if lower_limit was a newly agreed
modifier. The reason for doing it with modifiers is that they could apply to
many standard names. Modifiers label fields which provide metadata about
data values, such as uncertainties and status flags. It's slightly odd that
in this case there is no data value, but you can imagine using these modifiers
for limits in cases when there was also a data value, so I would feel that
it's an acceptable use for modifiers.

Cheers

Jonathan