⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to express data variable element values that needto cover a range

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:48:19 -0700

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Randy Horne <rhorne at excaliburlabs.com> wrote:

> The range for the data variable is not error/uncertainty.
>
> Rather, the data variable is one of a set of data variables needed to define the current environmental conditions at a location.
>
> The specific data variable is an energy band with an upper and lower limit where the energy band is dynamic, and a function of the current environmental conditions.

Perhaps not CF-compliant, but my tendency would be to add another
dimension to the data array, of length-2, and store the high and low
values there. So if you have a 1-D array to begin with, you could use
a Nx2 array to store you data, and:

low = variable[i][0]
high = variable[i][1]

but maybe that doesn't fit into CDF standards well, in whcih case, two
variables with standard names:

the_standard_name_lower_limit
and
the_standard_name_upper_limit

would work fine. Is there currently a standard_name for this data,
when not given as a range?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.