⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] request for new standard name

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:20:25 -0700

Hi All,

The problem as I see it, is that the two versions of Dobson Unit are effectively equivalent via the ideal gas law. Hence, I see Dobson unit get defined both ways, and since DU is used as the unit the difference is hidden and irrelevant, except for CF because we insist on connecting it back to base units.

If someone has data labeled as DU in a file, we could switch the definition of DU and there would be no science impact unless the software complains.

Which will be easier to change at this point, the units in the CF std-name table or the entry in Udunits?

Either way it would be good to change the description in the CF std_name table to document the issue.

Best wishes,

     Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.