⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name question - "toa_bidirectional_reflectance"

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:44:49 -0400

Folks:

I am working the GOES-R program. We have a few very specific questions on the use of a standard name (toa_bidirectional_reflectance):

The top of atmosphere (TOA) reflectance is a key product from satellite observations but is
often ambiguous as a result of the many non-standard definitions used throughout the
community. The CF standard name table includes "toa_bidirectional_reflectance" as a unitless
quantity that is the ratio of the reflected to incident energy. However, the details of this
quantity are not completely clear.

(1)
Does it include an integration of solid angle - i.e., introducing a factor of PI for Lambertian surface? Does it include or exclude the cosine (SZA) factor that is often omitted from imagery (and that allows a direct scaling from radiance to
reflectance)?

(2) What programs have already adopted the "toa_bidirectional_reflectance" and how can one ensure that the convention is being used consistently with respect to the above questions?

very respectfully,

randy