⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 10:10:02 +0200

Philip,

I agree that referring to versioned std_name tables is generally a good
idea. The WMO members have (and still have) problems with versioning, in
particularly when I think about grib-tables.

I still have a bad feeling about using a name like
wmosynop_high_cloud_area_fraction or isccp_high_cloud_area_fraction in
particularly since they give a over-specification of a generally well
understood phenomenons. Both wmosynop and isccp are
measurements/measurement networks, and CF generally does not have enough
metadata to cover all measurement-details. E.g. for air-temperature, it
is from a measurement point of view often important what type of
instrument has been measuring it (automatic, human, scale,...). We don't
have a 'human_quicksilver_air_temperature' in CF (or a
wmosynop_air_temperature). For comparing 'air_temperature' between
measurements and possibly different models, the generally understood
'air_temperature' is best.

With high-clouds, this is a similar problem. high, medium and low clouds
is generally well understood and well documented in literature (a simple
search on the net gives more than enough hits).

 From a model point of view, I cannot estimate if a cloud is exactly the
one type or the other. There are often estimations like:
sigma < 0.4 -> high cloud
0.4 > sigma > 0.7 -> medium cloud
sigma > 0.7 -> low cloud
It will be difficult for the modeller to say: This is a cloud according
to the wmosynop definition.

Therefore, I think we need at first a general CF-name for
high/medium/low cloud to be able to compare in between measurement
networks and models. ISCCP, WMO synop and models have already the
concept of these clouds, they are not a 100% match, but close enough.

If then one of these networks needs a more exact definition of
high/medium/low clouds, they should ask for a std_name of their own.

Best regards,

Heiko

On 2012-05-14 22:59, Cameron-smith, Philip wrote:

> Hi Heiko, Eizi,
>
> You make a good point that any standard, such as WMO or ISCCP, may change. However that is also true for CF, and furthermore I think it is likely that other people will want other cloud description standards in the future, including any changes to your WMO-synop standard.
>
> My suggestion for dealing with this is to use the name of the cloud standard in the CF std_name, and then put details and a version number in the std_name description. This will make it precise, and easily extendable in the future.
>
> BTW, I didn't immediately recognize what you meant by 'synop', although it became more obvious after a quick google search. It initially sounded to me like it was a non-specific reference to synoptic scales. If we do decide to use it as part of the std_name, would it be appropriate to call it 'wmosynop' or 'wmo_synop'?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Philip

> Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

>>> middle_type_cloud_area_fraction