⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Response to [lc-cci] proposal for new CF standard names for land cover observation and classification

From: Hessel Winsemius <Hessel.Winsemius>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 14:07:00 +0200

Dear CF maintainers,

I would like to acknowledge that we also are interested in similar
variable names as posted by mr. Martin Boettcher. The subject of the
[CF-metadata] [lc-cci] proposal for new CF standard names for land cover
observation and classification

In particular we are interested (and I quote) in:

>/ standard name: probability_of_water_occurrence
/>/ definition: probability that the observed pixel shows water
/>/ unit: none (a value between 0 and 1)/

and along with this a standard name, which defines the quality of this
estimate, using a modifier. The suggestion by mr. Boettcher was:

>/ standard name modifier: confidence_level
/>/ definition: applied to some discrete variable, denotes the probability that the assignment of the value to the variable is correct
/

Our variable name for the quality would then become:
standard_name: probability_of_water_occurrence_confidence_level

There was some inclarity as to what 'probability of water occurrence'
means. In our case, we are preparing an operational automated service
for flood mapping from EnviSAT ASAR satellite data (in the future, we'll
use Sentinel-1). In our algorithms, each pixel is given a probability
that it contains open water. We are never 100% sure that a pixel is land
or water. Therefore, we need a 'probability' instead. The ability of our
algorithm to distinguish between land or water is sometimes good and
sometimes not. Therefore we need the 'confidence_level'.

Does this clarify our case? Please let me know if any clarifications are
required.

Kind regards,
Hessel Winsemius

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.