⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean CTD data following CF Conventions v1.6

From: andrew walsh <awalsh>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 12:40:22 +1000

Hi John and CF-Metadata list,

Based on your earlier advice I decided using the Scalar way to represent
the coordinate lat, long and time rather than Vector way i.e lat(lat0, lon(lon),
time(time)
mainly for reason of simplicity.

I have run the Scalar sample through the BADC netCDF checker (*Note)
at http://titania.badc.rl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl and I now get this error
on each of the lat, lon, time variables:

ERROR (4): Axis attribute is not allowed for auxillary coordinate variables.
I don't get this error with the Vector approach. It looks like the checker
thinks
my scalar lat, lon, time are 'auxilliary coordinate variables' and axis
attributes
are not allowed on these. Is the checker interpreting things correctly?

If the scalar approach is breaking the CF rules then I would prefer to go
back to the vector approach which is what I proposed in the
first email to this topic on April 2.

For reference attached are netCDF files for the Scalar and Vector alternative
and
corresponding text files.

Andrew

(*Note: I set the 'Conventions' global attribute temporarily to CF-1.5 in the
netCDF file
because the checker doesn't recognise CF-1.6 yet, only works up to 1.5.
 The 'Conventions' attribute will be CF-1.6 in the final file.)