⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:22:51 +0200

Hei David,

I'm not familiar with the ISCCP datasets, but in a fast look on there
web-page, it seems like the have already a translation to the 3 WMO
clouds: http://isccp.giss.nasa.gov/cloudtypes.html

It is not that we run a 3 layer model. We compare our 20-130 layer
models, and we do it on the basis of the WMO cloud types, so, like
ISCCP, we have routines to reduce our model-levels to WMO cloud types.

It would of course be possible to introduce a new vertical axis of name
'cloud_type' which is a index list of the different clouds. This would
be more difficult for a general reader, in particular parsing the
['low', 'medium', 'high'] axis will be cumbersome and error-prone.

On the other hand, CF usually describes different phenomenons with
different standard_names, e.g. *_longwave_energy <-> *_shortwave_energy,
swell wave <-> wave rather than with additional axes.

Best regards,

Heiko

--
Dr. Heiko Klein                              Tel. + 47 22 96 32 58
Development Section / IT Department          Fax. + 47 22 69 63 55