⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard_name for cloud-cover by phenomenon

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:04:42 +0100

Dear Eizi and Heiko

> I support your proposal to add "low_cloud_area_fraction",
> "low_cloud_area_fraction", and "high_cloud_area_fraction".
>
> (2) It's misunderstanding that whatever "cloud" located in high
> layer becomes high cloud.

This sounds confusing to me, even though WMO may approve it. I would feel
uncomfortable about using this terminology in standard names. A user of
the data would very naturally assume "high cloud" means it is high, etc.
On the other hand, the cloud types Heiko mentioned (cumulus, altocumulus,
cirrus etc.) are used with consistent meanings, so these would be a reliable
basis for CF vocabulary.