⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name for sea water ph without

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:49:45 +0000

Dear Upendra

We had a long discussion about this in 2009. In particular, John Graybeal's
posting of 25 Mar 2009 gives several different pH definitions. It appeared that
these versions of pH are probably not the same geophysical quantity, and it
is therefore necessary to specify which one it is. Although they all have
the same general intention of measuring something like H+ concentration, they
are more distinct than just being different measurement techniques. You are
right, if they were all the same geophysical quantity measured in different
ways, we wouldn't record the measurement technique in the standard name.

Cheers

Jonathan