⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Storing outline information in NetCDF/CF?

From: Russ Rew <russ>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:20:30 -0700

> Is there a way to store outline information in NetCDF/CF? =
>

> I am looking for a way to store e.g. glacier outline, sea ice edge/extent e=
> tc =
>
> in NetCDF. It would simplify data management within heterogeneous systems. =
>
> Data can then be dumped to Shapefiles, KML etc upon user request, but for l=
> ong =
>
> term data management purposes they may be stored in NetCDF/CF along with =
>
> gridded data, time series, trajectories etc.

There are no CF conventions for storing such outline information, but
the widely used GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) software uses netCDF with
GMT-specific conventions for storing coastal outlines, as line segments
in tiles. For a high-level description see the section "K.3 The long
and winding road" from the GMT Technical Reference and Cookbook by Paul
Wessel and Walter H. F. Smith:

  http://tabs2.gerg.tamu.edu/gmt/GMT_Docs/node222.html

--Russ