⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for better handling vector quantities in CF

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:45:59 +0000

Dear Thomas

> Thus, although I am unsure we should impose it from the convention, e.g. by allowing to define some attributes from the "umbrella" level (such as :coordinates), I see little use for defining vector objects that do not share all their dimensions.

In your umbrella proposal, all the data variables still describe themselves
independently, including their grid, and I see that as an advantage. Actually
I do think there is a point in permitting one umbrella to shelter components
which are on different grids. The Arakawa C-grid is a real use-case. Many
models use this arrangement, and CF currently offers no way of grouping the
components, although it does of course contain them independently. I think it
could be convenient to some software to have an easy way to find the components
of a vector on an Arakawa C-grid. It is not essential, but it could be useful,
just as when the components are at the same gridpoints. However, I don't feel
strongly about it.