⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] daily maximum of running 8-hour means

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:06:36 -0600

Dear Martin

I think we all prefer the second alternative then i.e. the summary of what
was done, rather than explicit coordinates.

> Upon calculating this "index", one will generally assign the daily value to one single time "coordinate" value representing the respective day. Now, this would mean that the "offset" value will likely be undefined if I understood this correctly.

I suppose so. I think the "offset" and "period" would both be optional anyway.
It sounds like you really only need to record the "period" i.e. 8 hours, and
I suggested the "offset" too for completeness, following Philip's email. It
would be sufficient to put
"time: mean (period: 8 hours) time: maximum (interval: 1 hour)".
to indicate a (daily) maximum made from 8-hour running means if you aren't
concerned exactly how the 8-hourly periods correspond to the days. In that
case we can simplify the proposal by omitting "offset" until someone needs it.

If no-one has a better idea, shall we propose this extended syntax in a trac
ticket?

Cheers

Jonathan