⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] daily maximum of running 8-hour means

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:47:38 +0200

Dear Jonathan, Philip,

     I tend to lean towards the second alternative. Partly, because I believe it is easier to understand, and partly, because I think that in most cases the extra information which cell_bounds entered the "daily max. 8-hour running mean" is not preserved (at least I never saw it in any data set). Upon calculating this "index", one will generally assign the daily value to one single time "coordinate" value representing the respective day. Now, this would mean that the "offset" value will likely be undefined if I understood this correctly.

Best regards,

Martin

> Dear Martin and Philip
>
> [...]
> One possibility would be to extend CF to allow you to preserve the
> original time axis to which the first operation applied, even though
> it is no longer provides the time coordinates once the second
> operation has been carried out. For instance, we could allow:
> [...]
>
> Another possibility would be to define new kinds of standardised
> metadata, following Philip's categories, to describe the superseded
> time coordinate e.g.
> cell_methods="time: mean (period: 8 hours offset: -15.5 hours) time:
> maximum
> (interval: 1 hour)". The second entry is standard, and records that
> hourly values were input to the calculation of the daily maximum. The
> first entry records that those values were themselves means calculated
> over periods of 8 hours, and the first such period began 15.5 hours
> before the first time coordinate (12 - 15.5 = -3.5, the lower bound of
> the first old_time cell).

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt