⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: Proposed new standard name: projection_zone

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:23:30 -0600

Dear Mike

I only know about UTM what I've just read in wikipedia. Having read that, my
understanding is that a location in UTM is fully specified by projection zone,
easting and northing. Those three numbers will give you a unique latitude and
longitude wrt to an ellipsoid which is defined by UTM as well. Is that right?

If so, I agree with your earlier suggestion that it would make sense to
define a grid_mapping_name of universal_transverse_mercator. This would have no
parameters at all, since there are no "free" parameters if you know it's UTM.
You're right, you'd also need a new standard_name for your coordinates along
the trajectory. I would suggest universal_transverse_mercator_projection_zone,
since we spell out most things in standard names, but I suppose "UTM" is a
well-known enough acronym that utm_projection_zone would be OK too. Then your
trajectory has three spatial coordinates, of projection_x_coordinate (easting),
projection_y_coordinate (northing) and utm_projection_zone. Is that right?
In addition, to satisfy CF, you should include aux coords of longitude and
latitude along the trajectory.

If the above is what you would need, it looks like quite a minor change to
the convention.