⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] daily maximum of running 8-hour means

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:53:25 -0700

Hi Jonathan, et al.,

Legal air-quality standards often apply to multiple time-averaging lengths simultaneously, eg in California the law imposes both a 1-hour limit of 0.09ppm, and an 8-hour limit of 0.07ppm (see http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/aaqs/aaqs2.pdf). The UK also uses multiple averaging times, 1-hour, 8-hour, and annual (see http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/documents/National_air_quality_objectives.pdf). Hence, it is likely that there will be different averaging times in a file for the same chemical.

Hence, there is a need in principle to be able to specify the three relevant time quantities:

1) the length of the running-mean kernel (1-hour, 8-hour, annual),

2) the time interval within which the maximum of the running mean is searched for (daily, monthly, yearly),

3) the point/time in the running-mean kernel that is used to decide whether an 8-hour mean falls within the time interval for #2, since an 8-hour mean will often include values from outside the time interval.

In practice #3 is often not mentioned because there is usually a diurnal cycle to air-quality that helps to avoid confusion in given instances (ozone peaks in the afternoon, and smoke particles peak at night).

I assume that similar issues apply to daily temperature maximums and peak precipitation rates, which could be important when comparing data and models with different time-steps. Although in these cases I expect people implicitly rely on information about the model timestep to implicitly describe the averaging kernel.

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.