⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] daily maximum of running 8-hour means

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 20:03:47 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

    I really appreciate your thoroughness. Yes - there can also be the need to record the "daily maximum 1-hour value".

   Just to wet your appetite: it can get worse than that if you look at the US EPA ozone standard: "0.075 ppm over 8 hour period: To attain this standard, the 3-year average of the fourth-highest daily maximum 8-hour average ozone concentrations measured at each monitor within an area over each year must not exceed 0.075 ppm." Or (even better) from a new standard proposal http://www.epa.gov/air/ozonepollution/fr/20100119.pdf : "cumulative, seasonal standard expressed as an annual index of the sum of weighted hourly concentrations, cumulated over 12 hours per day (8 am to 8 pm) during the consecutive 3-month period within the O3 season with the maximum index value, set at a level within the range of 7 to 15 ppm-hours"

   These kind of "interval" definitions may not be imminent right now, but as we are trying to engage the air quality community in "semantic interoperability", I am quite sure this will come up eventually. Is there any other community out there that has similar issues?

Cheers,

Martin

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt