⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] daily maximum of running 8-hour means

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:39:56 +0100

Dear Martin

Yes, I agree, "interval" is an ambiguous word, unfortunately.

> YES - there will be a need for this. Current air quality data bases - the largest are probably the American AQS and the European AirBase systems - do store hourly data and "daily max 8-hour mean" values, and you want to be able to differentiate between those automatically

OK. The distinction between those two can already be made like this:

- hourly data have coordinates spaced hourly, and cell_methods with "mean"
or "point" (depending on wheher they were hourly time-means or instantaneous
values at hourly intervals).

- daily max of running means have coordinates spaced daily, and cell_methods
with "maximum".

What we *can't* record in a standardised way is the extra information that the
maximum was calculated from running means. We need to do this if there are also
daily maxima calculated from other kinds of subdaily data.

I apologise if this is frustrating. I am trying only to clarify what is needed
in practice!