⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF-compliant netCDF file

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 08:55:28 +0200

Dear Phil,

a programmer has usually to decide if he accepts 'minor' problems with
the input or not. A program-user usually selects the program which
accepts most input. So a CF-processing program not accepting a dataset
without datum won't get very popular. Of course, a program allowing the
user to modify/correct the datum is even more popular.

The climate and forecast modellers used for a very long time a spherical
earth with a radius around 3671km (= GRS1980 Authalic Sphere, not the
GRS1980 ellipsoid). Therefore, all CF-processing programs I know assume
that spherical earth radius of that size (i.e. netcdf-java, ncview,
fimex). So, the proposed default is the de facto standard and I believe,
it is better to write it down than to keep it informal.

If datum information is merely an extension to CF, it will take very
long until it is accepted. If CF always comes with a datum,
data-providers will adapt more quickly, since a missing datum might be
an obvious error (high priority) rather than a missing extension (low
priority).

Setting a default for something previously undefined is very common. A
precedence which was the same amount of work (update of attributes) for
all non-english data-providers was the definition of UTF-8 as
character-encoding in netcdf-3.6.3 in ~2008.

Best regards,

Heiko