⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF-compliant netCDF file

From: Upendra.Dadi at noaa.gov <Upendra.Dadi>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:08:07 -0400

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bentley, Philip" <philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk>
Date: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF-compliant netCDF file

> Hi Jon,
>
> > I've been following this thread with great interest. For me
> > it boils down to this question:
> >
> > - Is the datum always known by the data provider?
Tthe World Ocean Database ( http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/WOD09/pr_wod09.html ), which is creating by aggregating and standardizing datasets collected over a long period of time, has some datasets which go all the way back to the time of James Cook. Some of these datasets, I am certain, have datum which is not known. But, I think the provider could still give a best guess for what the datum could have been with adequate qualification instead of leaving it to the user to select arbitrary datum.

Upendra