⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] generalizing forecast_reference_time and forecast_period

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 12:02:20 -0700

Hi Benno,

This isn't really a comment on your email, but a question (only somewhat
related) occurred to me. When you store multiple trajectories (or
forecasts), each started from a difference reference, but sampled in the
same way (at equal intervals), how should this be done? Suppose, for
example, you want to store ozone data from 10 freely moving balloons,
with samples taken hourly following release (for 24 hours), but each
balloon released at a different time. Would you do this as follows?

dimensions:
   time = 24 ;
   ref_time=10
variables:
   float O3(time,ref_time) ;
     O3:long_name = "mole_fraction_of_ozone_in_air" ;
     O3:units = "1e-9" ;
     O3:coordinates = "lon lat z" ;
   double time(time)
     time:standard_name = "elapsed_time??? or relative_time???"
     time:long_name = "elapsed time since the beginning of the trajectory"
     time:units = "hr"
   double ref_time(ref_time) ;
     ref_time:standard_name = "reference_time???" ;
     ref_time:long_name = "time when balloon was released and the reference for elapsed_time (relative_time)"
     ref_time:units = "days since 1970-01-01 00:00:00" ;
   float lon(time,ref_time) ;
     lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
     lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
   float lat(time,ref_time) ;
     lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
     lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
   float z(time,ref_time) ;
     z:standard_name = "height_above_reference_ellipsoid" ;
     z:units = "km" ;
     z:positive = "up" ;

Note the possible standard_names (I think, suggested by others).

Best regards,
Karl