⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] generalizing forecast_reference_time and forecast_period

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:33:21 -0400

I think what Jonathan said

Therefore I think it would be sensible to add some more general names which
> you could use, such as reference_time and elapsed_time. You might say that
> a "time" is expressed by udunits as an elapsed_time since a reference_time.

is pretty much on the mark: I was using the word "period" because the
standard_name's grammar suggests using period for a time interval and saving
"time" for temporal with reference time, though "elapsed_period" sounds a
bit strange to my ears.

As for my using "forecast_reference_time", I am willing to accept the
judgement that it is not what I want, but I can't say that it is all that
clear. Forecasts are integrations from initial conditions a.k.a the
analysis, which is precisely what happens in a trajectory -- the terms used
in defining forecast_reference_time are mostly ill-defined, particularly
what is the "time of the analysis" -- in practice it is the sampling time of
the most recent data in the forecast, plus the processing time it takes to
get the data to the forecast, which means essentially that the forecaster
gets to define it -- it does not have an absolute (standardized) meaning.

Benno