⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] generalizing forecast_reference_time and forecast_period

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:46:13 -0400

CF has standard names forecast_reference_time, forecast_period and
time which are interrelated in a particular way.

I have a trajectory dataset which also has reference_time, period,
and time which are interrelated in the same way, but forecast is not
an appropriate descriptor: the reference_time is the start of the
trajectory, the period is the time relative to the start_time along
the trajectory.

I am wondering how important "forecast" is in the semantics of these
particular standard_names -- does it really have to be a forecast?
After all, these are the standard names for the time coordinates, e.g.
independent variables, while forecast is a property of the dependent
variables, i.e. how they were computed.

Do we need more general names? Am I taking the current names too literally?

Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal? ? ? ? ? benno at iri.columbia.edu
International Research Institute for climate and society
The Earth Institute at Columbia University
Lamont Campus, Palisades NY 10964-8000?? (845) 680-4450