⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits time unit question

From: Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:18:09 -0700

On 3/31/11 12:42 AM, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> This debate between Chris and Benno hinges upon how one determines the sampling interval for a time series. Benno depends upon semantics encoded in the units of measure field - something I have done in the past although I am now convinced that it is not best practice. Chris advocates obtaining it by analysis of the time channel.

Yes, I think that does sum it up well.

If nothing else, there is a clear need for a little more detail (or a
reference) for the calendar definition in the CF docs:

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.1/ch04s04.html

Perhaps things like "360_day" calendar are standard enough in the
climate modeling community that they don't nee definition, but these
brief descriptions are terrible unclear/imprecise for folks like me.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer