⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] physical vs dimensional units

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:39:17 +0100

Hi John,

We label Units of Measure with a URI (e.g. SDN:P061::ULAA represents metres), which represents a term in the P061 vocabulary (http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/P061/list/current). The vocab (born in the late 70s) is a work of pragmatism that contains a mixture of 'dimensional units' plus 'physical units' carrying semantics like 'mg/g dry sediment'. Work in progress is to migrate semantics into our equivalent to Standard Names deprecating P061 terms as we go with the medium term objective of getting as close to udunits as possible. However, I feel complete harmonisation will never be possible.

All our current software does with the P061 URIs is to use them to create text labels for plots, ASCII listings and so on. The resulting consistent labelling is the primary objective of P061. Of course, my ambition is to develop UoM interconversions, probably built on udunits, but that isn't even at the vapourware stage yet. So, the answer to your question is that we use 'physical units' as labels, but don't try and do any processing based on them.

I'm starting to wonder whether the 'labelling' and 'interconversion' use cases have become a little confused in the discussions of the past few weeks.

Cheers, Roy.