⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name table update - vocabulary editor now operational

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:10:56 +0000

Dear All,

The standard name table has been updated today as planned. The current version is now version 17, dated 24 March 2011. While every effort has been made to ensure that the names, units and definitions are correct, please let me know if you do spot any mistakes or omissions.

N.B. These names should now have been moved to the vocabulary editor 'completed work' status page, but for some reason they are still being listed as 'current work'. Steve Donegan is currently working to address this and the editor pages should be updated shortly.

Best wishes,
Alison

> > 1. Aliases for existing standard names
> >
> > a. Atmosphere mass content names. Change proposed by Alison Pamment
> in
> > response to query raised by Tim Nightingale.
> >
> > atmosphere_cloud_condensed_water_content ->
> > atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_condensed_water
> > atmosphere_cloud_ice_content -> atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_ice
> > atmosphere_cloud_liquid_water_content ->
> > atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_liquid_water
> > atmosphere_convective_cloud_condensed_water_content ->
> > atmosphere_mass_content_of_convective_cloud_condensed_water
> > atmosphere_convective_cloud_liquid_water_content ->
> > atmosphere_mass_content_of_convective_cloud_liquid_water
> > atmosphere_water_vapor_content ->
> > atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor
> >
> > 2. Clarifications to the explanations of existing names
> >
> > a. area_fraction. Change proposed by Alison Pamment.
> >
> > The explanation of area_fraction will be changed to refer to
> area_type
> > as the correct standard name for a variable describing the surface
> type
> > whose fraction is being calculated. Currently the explanation refers
> > land_surface and land_cover which are aliases of area_type.
> >
> > 3. New names
> >
> > a. Liquid water concentration in air and aerosol size names.
> Proposed
> > by Bruno Piguet.
> >
> > mass_concentration_of_cloud_liquid_water_in_air; kg m-3
> > mass_concentration_of_drizzle_in_air; kg m-3
> > mass_concentration_of_rain_in_air; kg m-3
> > mass_concentration_of_liquid_water_in_air; kg m-3
> >
> > b. Extinction coefficient name for CMIP5. Proposed by Michael Shulz
> > and
> > Olivier Boucher.
> >
> > volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol; m-1
> >
> > c. Diffuse radiation name for CMIP5. Proposed by Karl Taylor.
> >
> > surface_diffuse_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clear_sky;
> > Wm-2

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--