⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name table update - vocabulary editor now operational

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:16:48 +0000

Dear All,

Early in December I advertised a planned update to the standard name table to add a small number of names and act as a test for a new vocabulary editor that has been developed at CEDA. Unfortunately, our efforts at the time were scuppered by serious network problems. Since then a number of partial tests of the system have taken place and bugs ironed out of the communications with the NERC vocabulary server. I am delighted to be able to say that the system is now fully functioning and will be operational from today. Many thanks to Steve Donegan at CEDA and Roy Lowry and Olly Clements at BODC for their continued efforts to make the system operational.

A number of changes to the standard name table have been successfully sent to the vocabulary server and these will be published at 2 a.m. GMT on 24th March, i.e., tomorrow. Tomorrow I will also update the standard name table on the CF website and this will keep the date information synchronised on the two systems. The planned changes to the standard name table can be found at the end of this email.

Now that the vocabulary editor is operational I will begin the process of adding entries for all standard names currently in the pipeline, whether already accepted or still under discussion. This will take some time as there have been quite a number of new names proposals since December. The list of pending names can be viewed by going to http://ndg.nerc.ac.uk/vocab-term-editor/home, and clicking on the 'Climate and Forecast Standard Names' link followed by the 'View status of current work' link. Please note that the vocabulary editor status pages are intended as an easy to view summary of standard names proposals and do not in any way replace the discussions on the mailing list.

The colour coded backgrounds of names on the 'current' status page should be interpreted as follows:
Blue - new proposal
Brown - name under discussion
Amber - name accepted but not yet published in standard name table
Green - name accepted and submitted for publication in NERC vocab server and standard name table on CF website.

The colour codes on the 'completed work' status page should be interpreted as follows:
Green - name published in NERC vocab server and standard name table on CF website
Red - name rejected (the comments field will record the reason for the proposal having been rejected).

I will post again tomorrow when the published table has been updated.

Best wishes,
Alison

> Dear All,
>
> On Tuesday 7th December I am planning an update of the standard name
> table in which I will be adding only a few of the changes that have
> been
> agreed in recent weeks. Apologies for not giving the usual seven days
> notice, but this 'mini' update is being done mainly for the purposes of
> testing a new piece of software. Details of the planned changes to the
> standard name table can be found at the end of this message. Should
> problems arise during the software test, the small number of changes
> means that they will be relatively easy to back out. Assuming all goes
> well, I will schedule another update of the table in the near future to
> add the rest of the agreed changes.
>
> The software being tested is a new vocabulary editor that has been
> developed at CEDA (Centre for Environmental Data Archival) of which the
> British Atmospheric Data Centre forms a part. The development was
> started approximately two years ago by Calum Byrom of Tessella plc and
> over the last twelve months has been continued by Steve Donegan, a data
> scientist and developer at CEDA. The vocabulary editor will greatly
> simplify the task of maintaining the standard name table by reducing
> the
> amount of manual file editing needed and removing the need for some
> rather time consuming upload procedures. I will be able to send updates
> simultaneously to the CF website and the NERC Vocabulary Server which
> is
> looked after by Roy Lowry and his team at the British Oceanographic
> Data
> Centre (BODC).
>
> An important feature of the CEDA Vocabulary Editor is that keeps an
> audit trail of all vocabulary terms entered into it. This information
> will be displayed on web pages which will allow CF users to see at a
> glance which standard names are currently under discussion, along with
> their units and definitions. Names will be proposed and discussed on
> the
> CF mailing list as now. When a new name is proposed I will create an
> appropriate entry in the Vocabulary Editor and the name will appear on
> the 'current work' web page. To view the page, go to
> http://ndg.nerc.ac.uk/vocab-term-editor/home, click on the 'Climate and
> Forecast Standard Names' link and then click on the 'View status of
> current work' link. At the time of writing, the page is empty but I
> will
> shortly begin adding entries for the names that will be added to the
> table on Tuesday.
>
> Once the editor is fully operational, I will periodically update the
> entry for each name as its discussion proceeds on the mailing list. The
> web page will show an audit trail of how a name has evolved, e.g.
> changes in its wording or its definition. There will be a link to the
> [...]

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--