⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [Standard name request] property changes over time

From: Paul.Durack at csiro.au <Paul.Durack>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:48:05 +1100

Hi there folks..

I've noted a couple of entries in the Standard Names table which begin with "change_over_time_*":
[e.g. change_over_time_in_atmosphere_water_content_due_to_advection; change_over_time_in_surface_snow_amount]

There are others which use the term "tendency_of_*": [tendency_of_sea_water_salinity; tendency_of_sea_water_temperature; and others].

And yet others which contain the keyboard "*_change":
[e.g. global_average_sea_level_change; global_average_steric_sea_level_change; global_average_thermosteric_sea_level_change; and others].

I'd like to request that this be generalized, as I would like to use a combination of the existing standard names: [sea_water_salinity; sea_water_temperature; sea_water_density; and others] along with the keyword "_change" - "sea_water_salinity_change", "sea_water_temperature_change" and "sea_water_density_change".

The addition of the keyword "*_change" as a suffix, I feel, is easier to deal with in a generalized framework when compared to the prefixes "change_over_time_*", or "tendency_of_*". In these cases, the "*_change" generalization could be further extended to include attribution of the change, such as the example "tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_advection" becoming "sea_water_salinity_change_due_to_advection".

It seems to me that as new observed and modelled estimates of climate system property changes are determined, a coherent, and consistent way of presenting these, using CF-1.x, should be available.

Along with the proposed use of the keyword "*_change" - in the example "sea_water_salinity_change" - it would make sense to also include a period over which any analysis has been undertaken to resolve this change - from which to back out the time tendency. The use of the climatology attribute seems appropriate here to effectively describe these data.

I'd be more than happy to hear any comments or suggestions regarding this request.

Cheers,

*************************************
Paul J. Durack
PhD Candidate (CSIRO/UTas - QMS)