⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:28:05 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

I think one could apply 'sedimentation' to each of aerosols, liquid_water, and ice.

That said, I would usually use 'precipitation' instead of 'sedimentation' for liquid_water and ice, and 'sedimentation' for aerosols.

I'm not sure if there is a formal distinction between 'precipitation' and 'sedimentation' for the atmosphere. The only distinction I can think of is that 'precipitation' makes me think of *fast* fall speeds and 'sedimentation' makes me think of *slow* fall speeds.

I do note that 'sedimentation' is currently only used in CF for ocean names (eg, tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_carbon_due_to_sedimentation), whereas 'precipitation' is already used for atmospheric terms (eg, tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_precipitation).

This suggests to me CF should use 'precipitation' in the proposal above, unless one wants to make some distinction on the basis of fall speed. However, 'precipitation' will sound odd if/when extended to aerosols, so I suggest that there be some mention in the description/help text to help with discovery (ie whether precipitation includes sedimentation, or not).

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.