⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:24:47 +0000

Dear Tomoo

> I agree that the word "sedimentation" needs more clarification.
>
> >(1') tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_
> > due_to_sedimentation_of_cloud_liquid_water .
>
> In this proposal, I hope to supplement the standard names which describe
> the cloud budget of various GCMs, and the above option (1') is exactly
> what we need for this purpose (i.e., it fits the variable name in a GCM).

It looks repetitive, but it appears that this clarification is necessary
since you also have

(2) tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_condensed_water_in_air_
   _due_to_sedimentation_of_cloud_liquid_water

Can "sedimentation" in this context only refer to cloud liquid water, or
could the same word be applied to cloud ice as well? (Please excuse my
ignorance - I am not a cloud microphysicist!)