⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ESRI implementation of ellipsoidal-earth

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:18:05 -0000

I have to agree with Jon on this one. To borrow his phrase, I wouldn't
want to be "inventing metadata".

Regarding the problem of spherical models using uncorrected WGS84
positions - two wrongs don't make a right. It's the use of the models
that need fixing. Altering the interpretation after the fact just
compounds the problem.

And since using WGS84 positions on a spherical model is tantamount to
altering the model physics, who knows ... maybe correcting the positions
would give more accurate results from the model.

Richard Hattersley AVD Expert Software Developer
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
Email: richard.hattersley at metoffice.gov.uk Website:
www.metoffice.gov.uk