⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ESRI implementation of ellipsoidal-earth

From: Jon Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:16:46 +0000

> Also, they are wondering what to use for the default ellipsoid when these are not specified. It seems to me the obvious > candidates are 1) spherical earth with a standard radius, or 2) WGS84 ellipsoid.

My inclination would be to treat the lack of datum as an issue to be escalated to the user to choose what to do. Seems more complicated but I'd be very wary of "inventing metadata" for the sake of convenience. Maybe ESRI could provide the user with a global "datum leniency" setting, that a user could explicitly set to avoid being bothered by prompts, if they know what they are doing.

It's less of an issue for viewing datasets in isolation, or for coarse-resolution data. But for high-resolution (regional- and local-scale) data the datum shift can be significant. I see this increasingly with people doing data assimilation in small-scale models - the geolocation error can be greater than the size of a grid cell.

(I will declare my own hypocrisy and note that ncWMS does assume WGS84 at the moment (it won't soon)... but that's how I came across the problem in the first place!)

HTH,
Jon