⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] MSG CPP standard name for time_offset_of_observation / pixel_delta_time

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:38:42 +0000

Dear Phil

> I wonder if there isn't a more generic pattern sitting behind these
> proposals. On the assumption that people are likely to want to use
> similar offsets for other coordinate variables - e.g. x_offset,
> y_offset, z_offset, lat_offset, lon_offset, and so on - would there be
> any merit in specifying the more general-purpose standard_name of
> 'coordinate_offset' ...

One difficulty with a generic offset as a standard name is that we wouldn't
be able to define its units. All standard names have to have canonical units.
This could be got round by making offset a standard_name modifier instead,
not implying a change of units from the standard name itself.

While I think this would work, I believe we should always be hesitant to solve
problems in advance which have yet shown themselves. For the moment, maybe the
simple solution of one new standard name will be sufficient.