⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] MSG CPP standard name for time_offset_of_observation / pixel_delta_time

From: Bentley, Philip <philip.bentley>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:20:57 -0000

Hi folks,

I wonder if there isn't a more generic pattern sitting behind these
proposals. On the assumption that people are likely to want to use
similar offsets for other coordinate variables - e.g. x_offset,
y_offset, z_offset, lat_offset, lon_offset, and so on - would there be
any merit in specifying the more general-purpose standard_name of
'coordinate_offset', which would then be used in association with a new
attribute called, say, 'base_coordinate' or 'ref_coordinate' (comparable
to Jonathan's proposed 'relative_to' attribute) which would define the
reference/datum coordinate variable?

Then, in CDL, we'd have something like...

variables:
  double time(time) ;
    :standard_name = "time" ;
  double delta_t(time) ;
    :standard_name = "coordinate_offset" ; # or just plain "offset" ?
    :ref_coordinate = "time" ;

(In some cases, of course, the time coordinate might be a scalar
coordinate, in which case the dimensions of the above two variables
would be different).

Adopting an approach along these lines would seem to confer the
advantage of avoiding a proliferation of standard names of the form
'X_offset'. That said, however, there are probably some CF nuances that
I've not thought of :-)

Regards,
Phil