⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] MSG Cloud physical properties codification

From: <plieger>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:39:48 +0100

Dear Philip and Alison,

Philip: Thanks for your valuable comment. This discussion started in
November and has been revived last week.

Alison, I think based on Philips comment we can exclude the two standard
names which use the defined_by suffix. What do you think?
(I thought that these defined_by suffixes were a good way to
differentiate between these physical quantities...)

>> In your case above, it appears to me that there is only one physical quantity, thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top, but multiple ways to try and measure it (that may give different answers because of errors and limitations of the measurements).
Do you have suggestions on how we could differentiate between these
variables in a CF compatible way? In our MSG CPP NetCDF files, should we
use the same standard_name for the two different variables?
When we use a viewer like IDV for example, how can we see the difference
between these variables? I have never tried this in IDV, so I don't know
what happens in this case... That is way we would like to have
distinguishable standard names.

Best regards,
Maarten

PS, the new list:
- platform_zenith_angle; degree
- angle_of_rotation_from_solar_azimuth_to_platform_azimuth; degree
- thickness_of_liquid_water_cloud; m
- effective_radius_of_cloud_condensed_water_particles_at_cloud_top; m
- thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top; 1