⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] MSG Cloud physical properties codification

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 17:04:30 -0800

Hi Maarten,

Sorry for this last minute reply (I don't think this was addressed before). My comment relates to the following proposed names:

- thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top (status_flag liquid, ice and mixed): "The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud";
- thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top_defined_by_infrared_radiance
(status_flag liquid, ice and mixed): "The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud derived by using infrared radiances";
- thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top_defined_by_near_infrared_radiance
(status_flag liquid, ice and mixed):" The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud derived by using near-infrared radiances".

It appears that your use of 'defined_by' may be different than that currently used by other std_names in CF.

Specifically, 'defined_by' is currently used for ocean_mixed_layer_thickness, which can be different depending on which physical quantity is used to diagnose it (eg, ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_temperature, ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_vertical_tracer_diffusivity). To me, each of these is a different physical quantity.
I presume the same would apply to the atmospheric boundary layer and the tropopause.

In your case above, it appears to me that there is only one physical quantity, thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top, but multiple ways to try and measure it (that may give different answers because of errors and limitations of the measurements).

Following standard CF practice I think only thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top should be added as a std_name.

The only argument I can see for making these different physical quantities is that the definition of 'cloud_top' presumably differs a bit for each wavelength. Personally I doubt that the difference is great enough to warrant different std_names, but please correct me if I'm wrong :-). And if this does warrant different std_names, then the wavelengths will need to be clearly specified.

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.