⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for Martian climate model data

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:11:31 -0800

This raises a broader question about CF, perhaps thinking too far ahead.

Per my understanding, the terms in CF are chosen to maximize the interoperability of data sets that use them. The idea is that I can expect my sea_water_temperature or air_temperature to be pretty much the same as yours.

What is the mechanism by which the grand poobah of data set searching, or anyone else, can tell that the air_temperature of the BADC climate model is of the Martian atmosphere, not the Earth one? My assumption has always been that the terms are describing _this planet's_ observables.

Presumably casual inspection will be likely to make obvious the distinction in many/most (all?) cases, so is that sufficient? Or do we want the computer that finds a model with air_temperature to be able to understand which planet's air is being referred to, just from the variable name?

John