⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] MSG Cloud physical properties codification

From: <plieger>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:27:45 +0100

Dear Alison,

> I think these names all follow the pattern of existing names and their meanings are generally clear. One question - in your products, are 'infrared' and 'near_infrared'
separate ranges of wavelengths/frequencies? Please could you tell me the
ranges so that I can include at least indicative values in the
explanations of the names.

Indicative values would be:
by using infrared radiances (4-20 micrometer).
by using near-infrared radiances (1-4 micrometer).

> For the three status flag names, I suggest that the units should be '1', i.e. a dimensionless value, assuming that the variables will be accompanied by flag_values and flag_meanings attributes.
Yes, this is true indeed, these flags will be: liquid, ice and mixed.

>If we can clarify these points then I think the names can be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.
That would be great :)

Best regards,
Maarten Plieger

On 01/24/2011 03:03 PM, alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Dear Maarten and Jonathan,
>
> Maarten has reminded me that the following names were discussed a few weeks ago:
>
> - platform_zenith_angle (degree): "Platform zenith angle is the the angle between the line of sight to the platform and the local vertical";
> - angle_of_rotation_from_solar_azimuth_to_platform_azimuth (degree):
> "The angle of rotation between the solar azimuth angle and the platform azimuth angle";
> - thickness_of_liquid_water_cloud (m): "Cloud thickness (cloud top height minus cloud base)";
> - effective_radius_of_cloud_condensed_water_particles_at_cloud_top (m):
> "Particle effective radius for both liquid and ice water particles";
> - thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top (status_flag liquid, ice and mixed): "The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud";
> - thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top_defined_by_infrared_radiance
> (status_flag liquid, ice and mixed): "The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud derived by using infrared radiances";
> - thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top_defined_by_near_infrared_radiance
> (status_flag liquid, ice and mixed):" The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud derived by using near-infrared radiances".
>
> I think these names all follow the pattern of existing names and their meanings are generally clear. One question - in your products, are 'infrared' and 'near_infrared' separate ranges of wavelengths/frequencies? Please could you tell me the ranges so that I can include at least indicative values in the explanations of the names. For the three status flag names, I suggest that the units should be '1', i.e. a dimensionless value, assuming that the variables will be accompanied by flag_values and flag_meanings attributes. If we can clarify these points then I think the names can be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alison
>
> ------
> Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
> NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
> STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
> R25, 2.22
> Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

Maarten Plieger
KNMI, R&D Information and Observation Technology, De Bilt
(t) +31 30 2206330