⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for standard_name="sea_binary_mask"

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 12:34:24 -0800

Trial balloon:

This conversation circles around the idea of masks that serve a
discipline-specific purpose: a land mask for terrestrial types; or a
sea mask for ocean types. Each discipline finds it natural to have "1"
indicate valid points for his particular outlook. It will always be an
effort for the data providers in one discipline to adopt the conventions
of another.

One could imagine masks for other (less common) purposes as well in
which the 1's signify other things. For example there are valid uses
for time masking, in which the 1's would indicate valid time indices.
Perhaps the fact that this conversation is occurring illustrates that we
should be approaching masking in a discipline-neutral way -- defining a
new attribute, and a more generic new standard_name. Something like:

    netcdf mask_eg {
    dimensions:
         AX003 = 10 ;
         AX002 = 20 ;
    variables:
         float LON_U(AX002, AX003) ;
             LON_U:long_name = "curvilinear longitudes" ;
             LON_U:units = "degrees_north" ;
         float LAT_U(AX002, AX003) ;
             LAT_U:long_name = "curvilinear latitudes" ;
             LAT_U:units = "degrees_east" ;
         float U(AX002, AX003) ;
             U:coordinates = "LAT_U LON_U" ;
             U:_FillValue = -1.e+34f ;
             U:long_name = "Zonal Velocity" ;
             U:units = "meters/sec" ;
    * U:binary_mask = "U_MASK";*
         float U_MASK(AX002, AX003) ;
             U_MASK:coordinates = "LAT_U LON_U" ;
    *U_MASK:standard_name = "binary_mask" ; // "1" indicates valid*
             U_MASK:long_name = "Ocean mask" ;

    // global attributes:
             :Conventions = "CF-1.5" ;

    }