⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for standard_name="sea_binary_mask"

From: Rich Signell <rsignell>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:35:10 -0500

Chris,

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On 1/2/11 6:11 PM, Rich Signell wrote:
>>
>> But they are not the same thing. ?They are the inverse.
>
> yes, of course, but they carry exactly the same information, do they not.

Yes, one could be inferred from the other.

> Why have two ways to express the same information?
>
>> ?Yes, it would
>> be possible to have data sets providers create NcML for every ROMS
>> dataset that has ever been written and serve the data with a
>> land_binary_mask instead of a sea_binary_mask.
>
> well, I suppose it may be a question of whether there are more data
> providers or data consumers...

Since most consumers use some kind of tool, I would says it's more a
question of whether there are more data providers or more CF-compliant
tool developers. And since many tool developers use NetCDF-Java or
some other package to enable CF compliance, perhaps there are really
not so many software changes to be made.

> That also implies that there are a bunch of ROMS-output netcdf files that
> already have a sea_binary_mask variable, and are therefor not currently
> CF-compliant. Is that the case? Do we want to add things to the standard to
> make common, but not compliant, use cases compliant? Perhaps so.

I think "Perhaps so" is exactly right. The advantage of making it
easier for providers to standardize their datasets vs the additional
burden to CF-compliant tool developers.

-Rich

--
Dr. Richard P. Signell?? (508) 457-2229