⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for standard_name="sea_binary_mask"

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:25:37 +0000

Hi Chris,

There are two philosophies.

1) Create an idealised model with everything normalised and harmonised to the nth degree, declare it as a standard and force everybody to conform.
2) Accept community practice but make sure that everything is unambiguously described. Interoperability then comes through the development of semantic resources describing the relationships between the descriptions.

More years of experience than I like to admit is bringing me kicking and screaming from camp (1) to camp (2). Although the transform from 'sea_binary_mask' to 'land_binary_mask' may be straightforward, the logistics of the conversion is not.

I therefore share Jonathan's view that accepting Rick's suggestion is the best course of action.

Cheers, Roy.