⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (waves and biogeochem)

From: Ramsey Harcourt <harcourt>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:48:56 -0700

Hi,

I've been mulling this over a bit, looking for a solution to suggest
that is intermediate to the current list of parameters, such as those
listed, and saving more complete spectral information. We are all
pursuing research that we believe will eventually lead to models of
upper ocean turbulence, and integrally related chemical and biological
phenomena, where surface waves will play a significant role.

I was looking at the CDIP web page where they save and redistribute gobs
of spectral data, and noticing that in one part of their web site they
serve data in 9 standard frequency bins (whereas we are passing them
many more from OS Papa, and these are available by download of larger
compressed files). This may be more frequency bins than really necessary
to describe the Stokes drift profile well enough. On the other hand,
they only serve up (again just in this '9-band' presentation) just the
energy and propagation direction from reported angular Fourier
coefficients, which leaves out the angular spread in each frequency bin.
Said another way, this set is only reporting the magnitude of the energy
and the direction of the wave momentum, but omitting to state the
magnitude of the momentum. The more complete set could also be simply
stated as the trio of (1) the energy spectrum in each bin and the (2,3)
the two Stokes drift spectrum components in each frequency bin.

To do this for CDIP's 9 frequency bins from a model they we're talking
about reducing the spectrum at each saved grid point & time to 9x3=27
values. That's a lot less than typical 2D wave model spectra, but I
think we could get it smaller.

How many bins are enough? I'm not sure, but we can tell at this point
that to get the forcing right we will need to compute the profile of the
Stokes drift at the vertical resolution of the turbulence model. Such
models typically have O(1)m resolution, corresponding to the vertical
decay scale of waves with frequency f_{1m}=0.35 Hz , so the upper bin
should be for f>f_{1m}=0.35 .

Then the frequency bins chosen by CDIP (not really picking on them, it
just got me thinking) are static, which gives you problems when you're
applying the same decimation in varying forcing regimes. This is useful
in programming web sites or wave models, but it seems more efficient to
divide things up under some assumption of self-similarity. I think we
could therefore pick frequency bins delimited by the moments of the
energy spectrum reported as parameters, and the frequency bins therefore
adjust to best capture the wave properties as seas rise & fall. More
divisions of these frequency bins could be made as necessary, but I'll
stop here and try to summarize my 'list of wants':

A) 4 values: The Zeroth, First, Second and Third moments of the Scalar
spectrum, i.e. the integral of {f^m S(f)}df , where S(f) is the
frequency scalar spectrum, m=0,1,2,3 and where m=0 gives you energy.
Some of these are equivalent to H_s and various mean or dominant period
parameters. Let's call the moments, normalized on the zeroth (energy), '
f_m^m ', and define frequency bin boundaries using a subset of these and
the model or data upper and lower bounds f_{min}, f_{max}: [f_{min},
f_1, f_2, f_3, f_{1m}, f_{max}] , making 5 frequency bins.

B) 2 Values: The Vector Stokes drift [U_S, V_S] at the surface, i.e. the
integral of (16*pi^3/g)*{f^3 S(f,\theta) [sin(\theta), cos(\theta)]}df .
In other words, the (pseudo-)momentum of the waves.

C) 3x5=15 Values: The energy and Vector Stokes drift in each frequency
bin. Note the magnitude of the stokes drift is not simply proportional
to f_3^3.

This total is 21 values at each saved grid point in the wave model, but
since H_s and 2 different mean periods are (I think) equivalent to 3 of
these, it is an additional 18 values on top of other parameters, down
from 27 in the static CDIP frequency bins and probably more robust. It's
probably an improvement over a long-ago (early 90's) suggestion of M. Li
&/or C. Garrett to use just 2 exponentials.

The surface vector Stokes drift profile would then be combined with a
subsurface one reconstructed using 5 exponentials with coefficients
given by the bin averages and decay scales 8pi^2/f_3{i,j} where f_3{i,j}
is the 1/3 root of the 3rd moment with angular weighting, determined
from the magnitude of the Stokes drift and the energy in the bin [f_i,
f_j] .

Not sure how well all this would work. Could be the frequency bins I've
chosen are not the most effective and that other choices may be better,
so some testing could be done to improve this straw man. Some of this is
triggered by some work Baylor recently passed to me, so he may have some
modifications to suggest on the frequency bins and moments, where my
definitions here are off the top of my head.

Please chime in if you want to work together on this or if you think
this is TMI in any of several ways ...

-Ramsey Harcourt

harcourt at apl.washington.edu
206 221 4662