⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] data integrity and semantics

From: Adam Pease <adampease>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:55:59 -0700

I'm interested in developing additional support for semantic
definitions and checking in NetCDF. I've looked at the information
about metadata definitions and had some questions:

- It appears that there is no existing capability to define constraints
or restrictions between data series. As a contrived example, we might
define that readings of pressure and temperature have a direct
relationship, and absent any change in volume, that they must change in
sync, at least within a given sensor error bound. Do people have better
examples of where such a constraint definition facility would be
helpful?

- Are there cases or anecdotes of data integrity issues you have seen
with real-world NetCDF data that the existing meta-data facilities were
incapable of catching? Stories of this sort might help me direct my
attention to the right area, and evaluate if additional semantic checks
could add significant value.

many thanks,
Adam

--