⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] paleoclimate time axis

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:10:58 -0700

Hi all,

Example 4.6 in the convention shows an example for a paleoclimate
time-axis, which I think should be made CF-compliant. It has a calendar
attribute defined as calendar="126 kyr B.P.", but according the the
conventions, "the values currently defined for |calendar|" don't include
this "paleo" option. I propose adding the following sentence after the
list of defined values for calendar (in section 4.4.1):

"The calendar attribute may also be used to identify the era of a
paleoclimate simulation, when an exact year would be inappropriate. The
form of a paleoclimate calendar attribute should be patterned after this
example: calendar = "18 kyr B.P.", which indicates the simulation is
for a period 18,000 years before present. The appropriate units will
usually be kyr, but yr or Myr might also be used."

If there are no immediate objections, I'll ask Jeff Painter to open up a
track for this.

Best regards,
Karl